The LinkedIn Live Event Replay I mentioned can be seen here:
And if you'd like to reference my show notes from this episode, here you go...
For the past two years, one of the most powerful data tools I’ve used to show brands how they can find their audience in the real world has actually been a commercial real estate platform called Placer.ai
You may be familiar with Placer, for one reason or another, but most commonly, I see real estate teams from place-based media companies using Placer as a tool to help them understand things like:
- Where they should put more screens or ad placements - where should they invest in developing their OOH real estate portfolio if you will because placer gives you deep insights on things like:
- Where customers of specific businesses live, where they work, which roads they take to get to and from their destination, and ultimately what’s so powerful about this is because it’s used for commercial real estate, it isn’t subjected to the same privacy laws as data that is collected for the purposes of serving ads online.
- What this means then for a brand is that the real world is just as, if not MORE deterministically targeted than ads on the internet.
So why does this matter?
- It matters for two reasons
- The first is - if you’re a brand sold in a retail store, or you’re a brand WITH retail stores, or let’s say you’re a D2C brand that wants to target specific customers of a certain brick-and-mortar retailer, then this is the most powerful data you could have at your disposal for picking where in the real world you should advertise.
- And I’m not taking just the market here, in fact, I covered this pretty extensively in the LinkedIn Live event I hosted last week and I’ll link to the replay so you can go watch it for yourself, but specifically, this is like having a military intelligence team on the ground for your brand, in the markets that matter most to you and they’re able to tell you which roads people take, other places they spend time and money, where they work out, where they get groceries, where they do their shopping
- The second reason is that if you are a brand sold in retail, or you have retail stores, or you are that D2C brand, why wouldn’t you use the same tools that billions of dollars of physical real estate investment decisions are already being made with?
- That’s literally what this platform is designed for - to give commercial real estate folks the confidence to invest in physical real estate (or in some cases, DIVEST or sell, to get out from underperforming locations). It’s how the major retail chain your product is sold in selected the site to build their store on, so why wouldn’t you use that same data to inform your real-world, targeted offline marketing campaign?
- The same data these huge multi-national retail conglomerates are using to select their commercial real estate is the same data you could be used to inform your next out-of-home ad campaign and that’s pretty frickin cool and so I took a ton of notes and came away with some core themes which I want to share with you here…
The first of which was this hot take from the morning panel of speakers:
Brands that survived the last 2 years are going to be around for the next 100 years
- Retail experience is inherent to human behavior/experience
- Retail foot traffic and sales back to 2019, despite that, hiring and staffing still remain the primary challenge for retail, and because of how the retail landscape has been impacted the past two y
Looking for your next job in OOH? Start here: www.oohired.com